Friday, October 26, 2012

Back With No Vengeance Whatsoever.

Sorry about the mini-hiatus there.  It was a crazy two weeks with midterms and what not, and it promises to only get crazier with the fast approaching second-semester auditions.  So.  I will try really hard to keep up with my blog but please understand if I miss a few here and there.

Life has been pretty good for the most part. I got to visit home for a bit, and then got busier than ever with work and school.  Not to mention Halloween really has me on edge.  You know how that goes.

There's another part of October that always tends to grind my gears (--PGriffin).  It's not so much that I don't understand the importance of breast cancer awareness month...it's more that I don't understand why no one seems to be aware that October is also liver cancer awareness month, and why--upon completion of the month of September--it was never mentioned that September is also:
                                               
Hmm.  Something's wrong with this...Now don't get me wrong--I understand that breast cancer affects a great percentage of people.  I understand that it is a devastating cancer that has taken countless lives.  

But I can't help but acknowledge that if caught early, breast cancer is highly treatable now due to all the funding it's received...and maybe if we put the same amount of funding into all the other cancers...we might see a decrease in cancer fatalities.  

It also kills me that the motto for breast cancer awareness is "finding a cure for breast cancer."  This is where I get very upset.  If we are going to focus our attentions on breast cancer, can we at least make the motto "FINDING A CURE FOR CANCER"???? AS LIKE A GENERAL THING????  I dunno...as a courtesy to the millions of people with other cancers who would also like to see a cure?

I also have a problem--as a woman--with the way breast cancer awareness is portrayed.  Slogans like "save the boobies" or my personal favorite..."STOP THE WAR IN MY RACK"...it's like...ok really peeps?? This is disgusting.  I understand the attempt to be tongue-in-cheek...but then can't we just stick with "Fight like a girl"?  Breast cancer awareness is about helping women.  WOMEN.  IT'S ABOUT THE WOMAN.  Not her tits. 

If we go along with the current method of slogan creating, may I suggest:

for prostate cancer: SAVE THE ASSHOLES!
for ovarian cancer: SAVE THE EGG SACK!
and of course, for sarcomas: SAVE MY RIGHT TO BONE!!!

You see how disgusting this is?  I think everyone understands and cares about the need for cancer awareness without sexualizing it.  Call me a feminist?  I'm really not.  I just have respect for myself and for other women.
To conclude, I give you the following:
NOVEMBER: Pancreatic, Stomach, Lung/Mesothelioma, Carcinoid Cancer Awarness Month//Also National Family Caregivers Awareness Month (THANKS FAMILY!!!)
DECEMBER:  Christmas Awareness Month
JANUARY: Cervical Cancer Awareness Month
FEBRUARY: CANCER PREVENTION MONTH
MARCH: Colorectal and Kidney Cancer Awareness month/Jesse was born on the 25th and needs a present awareness month
APRIL: Head/Neck, Testicular, and Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month
MAY: Brain, Melanoma, and Skin Cancer Awareness Month
JUNE: 1st Sunday of the month is National Cancer Survivors Day!
JULY: Bladder and Sarcoma Awareness Month (what, what!)

Could everyone do me a favor and be aware of all cancers 365 days a year?

Love Yas,
Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment