Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Remembering Nataline, and Why I'll Vote for Obama

This is a post where I get into politics---something I've avoided like the plague on this blog because I don't want to lose readers due to political affiliations.  I would like to start off by saying that I'm not one of those people who would stone Stacey Dash for tweeting her support for Romney or anything like that.  I'm liberal, I have my opinions, but I wouldn't go apeshit on someone for being conservative.

But I ask that regardless of what your political affiliation is, whether or not you follow or understand politics, you give this post a chance, and view the clip I'm posting.  This past March, my mother and I flew to Vegas for the OMG Young Adult Cancer Survivor Conference, and it was an eye-opening experience for several reasons.  I was able to really see how many other teens and twenty-somethings had their lives totally effed up by cancer.  I even met my West Coast twin: a girl from California who was diagnosed with Ewings' Sarcoma as a senior in high school, received the same chemotherapy regimen, and radiation as opposed to surgery (complete with the knit cap showing only her bangs, and big-framed glasses...so  surreal!)

It was truly a learning experience to see this demographic of people come together to celebrate what we've achieved at such a young age, and share our struggles (both during treatment and currently).

But perhaps the most eye-opening aspect of the conference for me was the closing speech by Wendell Potter.  Wendell Potter is a former insurance company worker, who was head of communications at a top health insurance agency until 2008, when he left the business to speak out against it.
 
After cancer, I knew my future as far as healthcare was...uncertain to say the least.  But when Wendell Potter spoke about his reasons for leaving the business...specifically about a girl named Nataline Sarkisyan...I was downright scared, sad, and angry...Below is his speech at the summit.  I ask that you guys watch from 22:22 through 27:30..but by all means watch as much as you want.  It's very important to me, and to anyone with less than perfect health.



Nataline's story hit me hard...it made me so angry that her life was ultimately in the hands of an out-for-profit insurance company...OUR SYSTEM FAILED HER.  THE PRE-OBAMACARE HEALTH INSURANCE INDUSTRY FAILED SO, SO MANY PEOPLE, AND WILL CONTINUE TO SCREW PEOPLE OVER IF A DRASTIC CHANGE IS NOT MADE.  

I know I can't afford for Obamacare to be repealed.  If I relapse...when I need my kidney transplant...when I try to get my own insurance...what the f**k is going to happen to me?

I can honestly tell you that I'm voting for Obama because I'm downright scared.  It's not so much that I love everything Obama says or does (clearly not after last week's debate), or that I hate everything Mitt Romney stands for.  It's that I am absolutely terrified of what will happen to me if our healthcare system is not changed.  Everyone, everyone, everyone should be able to get proper healthcare.  

Nataline Sarkisyan should be alive today...and I really realized that I could easily be in the same boat.  There were several times when the insurance company got in the way of me getting a certain drug that would have made treatment easier.  There were times when I was in pain because we needed clearance from the insurance company before they could administer the drugs..all of these instances are minor compared to the denial of Nataline's liver transplant, but still...there has got to be a change.

And this is why no one could possibly convince me not to vote for Obama.  He knows that the healthcare system pre-reform is an abomination, and is doing everything he can to help the underdogs like me...like my twin in California...like Nataline.

The Sarkisyan family has started a foundation in Nataline's name in order to honor Nataline and raise awareness about healthcare reform.  Please check it out:
http://natalinesarkisyan.com/

Thanks for reading, peeps.  This is important to me, as I hope it is important to you.  If you're interested in Wendell Potter and his take on everything, check out his book Deadly Spin.  

Also.  If you feel the need to start a heated debate all over my comments section...that is fine.  But please know that this post is about raising awareness, not arguing...so I will not respond to any political debating on this post (here or on facebook).  Thanks.

Know the issues, and VOTE.

Jesse

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jesse,

    I have a quick question about your blog. Could you email me when you get a chance?

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. I am not sure how to contact you, so you can reach me at jesspardee@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete