Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Guest Writer: Mike Mort!

"Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good..."

-"For Good"(2003) from Wicked.



My name is Mike Mort and I met Jesse a few years back at a Make-A-Wish Foundation event. After a wonderful video presentation about her wish (which was super cool), she sang For Good from the show Wicked, her singing absolutely blew me away and I thought to myself, "I have to meet this girl!". From that point on we were instantly friends, I guess having to deal with some heavy shit in our lives gave us some common ground and an unspoken understanding of what matters in life. 


I am 21 and I am living Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Because of this I use a wheelchair and am on a ventilator. Though my health may not be so great and my future is quite uncertain, I'm pretty damn happy considering, and I have striven to not let my circumstances define my personality. In my life I take pride in the fact that I volunteer for Make-A-Wish Central New York as their Social Media Manager, I also am a blogger thanks to Jesse, who motivated me to start writing a blog of my own after reading hers. I'm a huge film enthusiast and love music, also a good conversation can occupy me for hours (as Jesse can attest).

I am sometimes told by others how inspiring I am. This I personally disagree with. I feel that I aim to just live my life and that giving up is just not an option. In my opinion, overcoming adversity is not a matter of pure strength and perseverance but instead more of being able to adapt to what life throws at you.
Over the years I've picked a few little bits of wisdom here and there here's some I would like to share:

People are the fruit of life, some are sweat and some are bitter but they all sustain our souls like a full stomach.

Life is not easy for anyone, everyone has their cross to bear but how they see fit to deal with it is what matters.

Life is short and time is long, everything can change in an instant and an instant can change you, for a lifetime can lived in that moment.

Regardless of the philosophical thoughts that I sometimes spout, I am just a regular guy, more often than would probably like, I worry about stupid shit and I'm definitely not shy to the concept of being an asshole to people sometimes. Though my view of humanity is pretty high, the ignorant things people say to me in public never ceases to amaze me, if I have to hear one more quip about driving the speed limit I'm going to throw up! 

Thanks for reading, you can follow my blog at:

Thank you for letting me hijack your blog this week, Jesse! Much love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment