Saturday, July 21, 2012

I HAVE NO SHAME.

Well, friends.  A week and a half ago I started this blog so I could keep up with what the crazy youngsters are doing these days.  I try to keep hip, even though I have the soul of a 65 yearold.  Anyhow, the little blog experiment has been very successful.  Thanks to you, the readers, we are up to 1115 pageviews!  Thassssaaaaa lott!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!   WOOO!!!!! So many exclamation points.  I am tickled pink that you enjoy reading the shit I write, or you at least pretend to.  So thank you very much.  I really do appreciate it.
Now.  Let the bitchfest commence.

Yesterday, I decided to check my email, since I'm important and get so many emails from Ulta, Sephora, Michael's, and Tops-your-neighborhood-store-with-more.  One of the top stories on the yahoo homepage was about a 4 yearold girl named Mckenna May, who battled leukemia for two years, and the Make-A-Wish trip to Disneyworld that her father refused to sign off on.  He is against his daughters trip, because she's in remission, and he feels that she isn't sick enough to deserve one.

Wait.  WHAT??? EXCUSE ME, SIR???  

Well I nearly peed my pants, as you can probably imagine.  

Now, look. I'm not a parent (THANK.GOD.), so I can't tell this man how to raise his daughter. And he doesn't know me and probably doesn't read this blog so even if I tried to tell him he wouldn't ever know what I said in this run on sentence that I don't know how to end so I'm just gonna use punctuation or we're just gonna keep going and going and going.  But I can say this.  Half of this little girl's life has been spent in hell.  And no matter how positively you spin it, that's still what cancer treatment is: pure hell. So your daughter spent half of her life attached to a medicine pole, with a PICC line in her arm and her face in bucket...and you don't think she's deserving of a trip to Disneyworld????  OHH HELL NO.  

Don't get me wrong...I'm glad this little girl is doing well.  And I see where the dad is coming from.  There are many cancer survivors that have been through a shitload of bull, but have to remind themselves that there are people still who have it worse.  And I know that I have said myself that everyone deals with shit.  But this is a little kid.  And the MAW Foundation wants to help her.  Why the hell not?


This little girl hasn't been allowed to be a KID.  She's seen shit that I still can't cope with and I'm 21.  Let the kid go to the happiest place on earth.  Or immmmaa show up at your house in a mickey mouse costume...and that is creepy.

The father, William May, said this: "Spend the money on a child who this might be their last memory.  Kids who are only going to live a year or six months."  I'm not going to tell you that this isn't a respectable thing to say (I'm also not going to say that it's grammatically correct, Mr. May). A terminally ill child deserves to have amazing final memories.  And a child who has been through just as much and is lucky enough to survive deserves to have amazing memories to live with.  Especially when she's just getting old enough to remember things...do you want her only early memories to be of pinpricks and hospitals?  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, TAKE THE KID TO THE MAGIC KINGDOM. 

I know, Mr. May.  I, too, was afraid of being captured by Captain Hook.  But he's just misunderstood.

Trust me.  McKenna May deserves a trip to Disneyworld, and the Make-A-Wish Foundation is more than willing to give one to her, and to all of those children who aren't doing quite as well.  They even gave one to me, even though I screamed at them for calling me a "wish-kid" (I am clearly a very sophisticated woman).  


All joking aside, the MAW Foundation is thorough about making sure they review cases before allowing them a wish.  If the trip for McKenna was going to mean no trip at all for a child who is a lot sicker, then I understand.  But people need to trust that MAW would never let that happen.  They're on top of their shit.

And you know...it could be worse.  
Your daughter could be like me:  I, for one, have comprised a list of the ways I plan on using my experience.  And I HAVE NO SHAME:

*You're all out of Strawberry Coolattas?  Are you aware that I had cancer?

*No, no it's okay.  I understand this is the VIP section but I had cancer and it was devastating.

*I know I was speeding, officer, but I have an appointment with my oncologist.

*I can't pick up the dog poop because the fumes could be hazardous to my frail health.

*I know the coupon for the free haircut is expired, but I had no hair when I received it.


Love,
Jesse

PS.  My heart goes out to the victims of the Aurora, Colorado Massacre. 
"Life is eternal and love is immortal; And death is only a horizon, and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight." --Rossiter W. Raymond

No comments:

Post a Comment