Saturday, July 14, 2012

Let me tell you a thing or two about my good friend, Tom Cruise

I don't really know anything about Tom Cruise.  Except that his divorce has been talked about on Showbiz Tonight for the past week, and seeing as I have a habit of falling asleep to HLN, he's been the last thing I think about before going to sleep.  I mean, he's Rain Man's brother, why wouldn't I think about him before falling asleep?


So yeah, we all know Katie Holmes gave him the old kickeroo to the curb, and took that little girl who wears high heels all the time with her.  But let me tell you why I, Jesse, would never marry Tom Cruise in the first place (no matter how much he begged me...we all know he would seeing as I'm such a great catch).  <----sarcasm.  maybe?? HA.


But if you recall, Mr. Cruise had a little "episode" with Matt Lauer way back in the olden days of 2005.  He got his mission impossible panties all in a bunch over psychiatry---NO, NOT JUST PSYCHIATRIC DRUGS, THE WHOLE PRACTICE OF PSYCHIATRY.


Now, I said in my first post that I was going to talk very candidly, and so I will let you know that if it weren't for the practice of psychiatry, I would probably look like this:


(Thought I'd add some visual stimulation (stimulation?? IDK if I used that word correctly.  Or inappropriately for that matter).


I was diagnosed with OCD at age 9.  I began taking zoloft around that time.  And no, I am not going to spin around 3 times and turn the freaking light switch on and off when I enter the room.  I have always just been an anxious person who overthinks things to the point where it becomes obsessive.  I've seen--in total--7 shrinks in my life. 


So, you know, for me to hear Tom freaking Rain Main's brother Cruise say that "Psychiatry should be outlawed"...I was very confused as to why it was his business.  If he is so against it, then don't f**king use it.


Any Real Housewives of New Jersey fans in thaaa houzzz?  Yeah, well the Giudice and Gorga families have recently talked derrogatorily about psychiatry, claiming that they are "old school Italian" and blah blah blah and they don't believe in that stuff (thank GOD, they decided to go anyway).  When Tom Cruise and people on popular TV shows put down the act of people getting help, they are putting the happiness of many in jeopardy.  If they (and by 'they' I mostly mean Tom Cruise since anyone who takes the RHONJ peeps seriously needs serious help to begin with) cast a negative shadow on therapy in that way, someone who really needs help may be turned off to the idea of getting it.  And I GET PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED.


It drives me up a wall.  There is nothing wrong with needing help.  Life is a PIECE OF SHIT unless you AGREE TO DO WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO TO MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL. 


Now, the concept of psychiatric drugs is another matter, and I don't plan on giving ya'll a medical sermon on it.  People are against it because it's not natural and such, and I feel that.  It's all good.  I mean, I've been pumped full of chemicals, so for me to reject some xanax because it might not be natural is like when I go to Mcdonalds and ask for large everything and a diet coke. 


My OCD was mostly under control using Zoloft until my cancer diagnosis, where it spun out of control.  You add to my initial anxiety the heartbreak of giving up my senior musical, the depression of sitting in a hospital surrounded by sick children, the nausea of Ifosfamide, and the suddenly very real fear of dying.   To be honest folks, if it weren't for that Zoloft and an additional Wellbutrin and Ativan, I would have looked like this:




When it comes to mental health...I personally feel like we should be doing whatever we can to keep ourselves happy.  I'm not saying go out and abuse drugs and happy pills.  I'm saying don't let your pride get in the way when you need some guidance.  Life is far too short and unpredictable to waste any time being dissatisfied or sad.  There's nothing wrong with needing therapy.  Nothing.  And if you're a scientologist and don't believe in psychiatry, that's ok, too.  But don't cast a negative shadow on what has worked for other people for years.


And you know, I may be on some crazy pills, but I'm not the one jumping up and down on Oprah's couch now, am I??? AHHHEMMM, TOMMYYYY!!!


Love,
Jesse


PS.  Don't cry for me, Argentina.

2 comments:

  1. Listen, you need to either add a follow button to your blog or I need to learn how to use my fucking computer. I just spent like 5 minutes trying to find it...so yeah. I know I have on in my sidebar. Also feel free to make me feel dumb by saying "hey its in the right corner" on something.

    Oh yeah and good read btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan!!! I think...and I don't know for sure because I'm a newbie...but I think if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can click subscribe to posts? let me know if that works! and thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete